Sshhh..Don’t tell Nobody But I’m So Insecure

Credit from HBO Canada

Hello, My Lovelies!

It’s finally the weekend. For the last week and a half, I had been searching for a new series to watch. My Netflix was a huge disappointment as most of the series recommended to me by friends, I’d already watched.

I was a Netflix rut. No-one was more surprised than me. What was I going to watch when I was getting ready for work in the mornings?

In the same week and a half of my search, I kept seeing #InsecureHBO on my Twitter timeline. At the time, I thought it was one of those reality shows, so I disregarded it.

Desperation got the better of me, and I clicked on the hashtag.

Guuuuyyysss! I was living under a rock because nobody bothered to tell me about the awesomeness that is Insecure. Issa Rae is AMAZING!

I started season one on Tuesday and ya’ll….I’m on season two right now, and I’m sad because I’m going to have to wait for the next episode to drop on HBO.

About The Show

For those of you who were living under the rock with me, Insecure is an HBO original comedy-drama series based partially on Issa Rae’s widely lauded web series The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl. It follows the awkward experiences and racy tribulations of a modern-day African-American woman played by Issa Rae.

Issa and her best friend Molly deal with real life flaws as they attempt to navigate different worlds and cope with an endless series of uncomfortable experiences.

Who here has ever felt awkward in their lives?

I can relate to Issa’s character so much. Especially the club scene in Season 1, Episode 1. I vividly remember in college where I was waiting for a friend at a party and I saw this guy across the courtyard smiling at me or at least I thought it was me.

So we’re there making flirty eyes at each other from across the room. Finally, he signalled me over to join him; I made it half way across the room about to open my mouth to say something ridiculous when this girl out of nowhere; pushed passed me, leaving me in a tornado of her perfume and started dry humping the guy on the dance floor.

Awkward right?

I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me whole in that instance. Unlike Issa, I couldn’t rap about it, but I did write a short story which was popular among my peers.

If you’re not obsessed with Insecure, here are four reasons why you should be.

1. It’s asking hard questions about racism

As a series about black women, racism will be an unfortunate topic of conversation. But thankfully the creative team diplomatically breakdown and explores the complexities of the issue.

2. It’s making a statement about women

Insecure speaks up for women and shows how powerful they can be when they support each other; even though they sometimes have a weird way of showing it. Women empowerment has been the order of the day but not many women exercise it. If you’ve read my previous about the devil wearing a skirt, then you’d understand why I say it’s not being exercised.

3. The comedy is genuine

The series doesn’t try hard to be funny. Issa’s awkwardness, personality and raps are naturally entertaining. From her lipstick shade personality to her Broken P&&y rap, you can’t help but laugh.

4. It isn’t solely focused on relationships but…

We can’t help but root for her relationship with Lawrence and Daniel. Still, Insecure balances relationship drama with the characters’ external lives. Needless to say, you will be obsessed.

Have you watched Insecure? Are you tuning into Insecure Season 2? Tell me what you think in the comments!

17 Comments

1. Latoya
    August 26, 2017 / 7:25 am

Daniel is bae lol. Check out her webseries that inspired it all – Awkward Black Girl on YouTube or just Google the name with Issa Rae.

• Sheviimc
      August 26, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I watched it yesterday and I loved it. She is really talented. #TeamDaniel for sure! He is so fine.

2. August 26, 2017 / 11:54 am

I’m 46, but I’m a fan of the show. I could see a lot of myself in Issa at her age. I’m glad there is a show that deals with racism, working to be someone, and being youself. Black women have to put on a mask just to get through the day. Issa’s vulnerability is refreshing. She is not afraid to be goofy, awkward, or make mistakes. Next to Queen Sugar, Being Mary Jane, this is one of my favorite Black Girl Magic Shows! Good work on your blog.

3. August 26, 2017 / 4:50 pm

I have been in the same rutt as you. Netflix is disappointing me with the lack of tv shows available. I’m going to have to watch this show because frankly I’ve begun rewatching shows.

• Sheviimc
      August 26, 2017 / 9:51 pm

I did the same thing too. Ive rewatched so many shows that I don’t know what to do with myself anymore.

4. Shell
    August 26, 2017 / 6:36 pm

I have never heard of this show before but I will definitely put it into my Netflix line up 🙂

• Sheviimc
      August 26, 2017 / 11:46 pm

Hi Shell, It’s not on Netflix which sucks but you can stream it on HBO

5. August 26, 2017 / 11:35 pm

I also get so stuck with new ideas on what to watch but sometimes you find a goodie out of nowhere and you are pleasantly suprised.

This sounds like a fantastic one. Tackling issues like racism and feminism is hard work, it has to be carefully broken down and dealt with. I love that it’s also real comedy that doesn’t try so hard and then miss the mark.

I love the sound of that awkward moment. Im so awkward 🙂

• Sheviimc
      August 26, 2017 / 11:48 pm

Welcome to the awkward club lol.

6. August 27, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’m always looking for a good show to binge watch. This sounds great!

7. August 28, 2017 / 8:25 am

I am in Netflix rut too. And undfortunately there is no HBO here. At least Narcos is getting back on Season 3. *happy dancing*

Gayathri @ Musings Over Nothing

• Sheviimc
      August 28, 2017 / 1:43 pm

I haven’t started Narcos yet! Somebody had mentioned it to me but I forgot the name. I don’t have HBO where I am as well but I streamed it on watch-series.com

8. August 28, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Thank you for this! I’m always on the lookout for new shows to watch on Netflix. Presently, I am eagerly awaiting Season 2 of The OA 🙂

• Sheviimc
      August 30, 2017 / 5:44 pm

Its not on Netflix so you’ll have to stream on HBO or watch-series.com

9. Tris
    August 29, 2017 / 2:47 pm

I have defiantly add it to my list of things to watch.

10. August 30, 2017 / 12:57 am

I hear that Issa is a true boss when it comes to this show. People tell me to watch it! Seeing this, I definitely just might 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• Sheviimc
      August 30, 2017 / 5:42 pm

You definitely should! She is crazy.