• Summer is now in high gear, and that means you’ve broken out your cute …

View Post
  • Guest Post by Constante Quirino | Ayr Skin Care It is often said that “less is …

View Post
  • In my last post, I shared my experience with Digicel Play and their representatives and …

View Post
  • For over a year, Digicel Jamaica has been advertising their Digicel Play service of being “…

View Post
  • Being Petty And Knowing When To Stop

Being Petty And When To Stop

To be petty or not to be petty, that is the question. There are several advantages and disadvantages of being petty.

Sometimes being petty is good in some situations, but it should be just enough pettiness to let the person know how you feel. For example, if someone drank your juice from the office fridge, and you’ve identified them, you throw their cake in the trash.

That’s just common courtesy.

However, when the pettiness goes a little overboard, that’s when the case gets messy. After a certain age, I think the petty crown can retire in a box in the attic.

I’ve been in the corporate world for a little over two years, and I’m still amazed at the level of pettiness I’ve seen from some of the experienced employees. It did have me questioning whether or not they grew out of their teenage stage.

From jealousy, a high level of office politics, envy, gossip, innuendo, to just plain meanness among some of the staff.

I thought at this stage; we’d put on our big boys and girls underwear and share our displeasure calmly and rationally. Even three-year-olds have grasped the concept of ‘feelings hour’.

Instead, we have adults plotting and scheming their professional warfare.

Just last week, a coworker hid a few of the company files. The personnel in charge of maintaining cabinet left for lunch and closed the cabinet; which is the standard company protocol and the mentioned coworker, apparently so torn up about the situation, that when she gained access to the files, hid them files and reported it to make the personnel appear irresponsible.

WHEN TO STOP BEING PETTY

Personally, I think it’s better to be open and vocal, even when its categorized as being ’emotional’. Instead of letting personal feelings override professionalism and reduce productivity.

Plus it reduces the workplace chances of becoming toxic. If you haven’t read my post on that, catch up here.

Have you dealt with pettiness in a professional work environment? Let me know in the comment section or tweet me your experiences.

26 Comments

1. October 10, 2017 / 2:46 pm

loveeee the post, You hit the nail on the head about adults being petty, sometimes i really wonder for real if they have left their teenage stage!!!

• Aleciarenn
        October 11, 2017 / 2:31 pm

Trust me my dear its not getting any better. I have been apart of corporate world for more than 10yrs. And its mostly women who are the little witch of plotting and scheming.

• Sheviimc
          Author
          October 12, 2017 / 10:06 am

I agree! Some women seem intimidated by others and I don’t get it. I love seeing people especially women achieve their goals. I’m genuinely happy but you have others that just cannot be.

• Sasa
            October 12, 2017 / 4:18 pm

So True

• Sheviimc
              Author
              October 12, 2017 / 4:19 pm

🙂

2. Pascual
      October 11, 2017 / 10:51 am

I have been apart of the co-operate world for about 7 years and I must tell you, it doesn’t get better, however i face all my adversity with being effortlessly flawless thus reminding them that a mere man can not conquer a King/Queen. 😀

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 12, 2017 / 10:06 am

🙂 Great way to look at it.

3. October 11, 2017 / 7:39 pm

I so agree! Being petty is NOT ok…especially when you’re an adult! Your co-worker who hid the files sounds nuts!

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 12, 2017 / 10:14 am

Hiding the file is just the tip of the iceberg. I really do believe she is psychotic.

4. Lynn White
      October 12, 2017 / 5:18 am

I love everything about this post! Petty people are irritating anyway and you expect it from kids, but not adults. It’s just so sad!

5. Sheviimc
      Author
      October 12, 2017 / 10:07 am

I agree Lynn. You’d figure by now, adults can vocalize their grievances.

6. tararaquelfuller
      October 12, 2017 / 11:00 am

this made me laugh – I would totally want to throw their cake in the trash. haha, but excellent tips and discussion!

7. October 16, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Yo. I’m all for being petty, it has its place but you see ‘tupid stuff like:
      Not answering when I tell you good morning and answering when I ask you simple questions like when you want me to pick you up from the airport… is just plain stupid and impolite.

Some people need to know the difference between being raised right and being wild.

#AmNotCarryingFeelingsToday #No #WellKinda #Maybe

Great post, brought back memories.

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 17, 2017 / 2:17 pm

I agree with you. Pettiness has its place. A simple question deserves an answer and not silliness.

8. Laty
      October 17, 2017 / 12:13 pm

I’ve dealt with my fair share of pettiness, and holding my tongue on dishing it back for the sake of my clean criminal record. It really takes some degree of not letting anything phase you to deal with office “cattiness”. Ive had a co-worker try to exclude me from a project just because she didn’t see why I should be included. Went straight to the CEO and continued working on said project. Funny thing was she was fired in 2 weeks.

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 17, 2017 / 2:15 pm

Lol clean criminal record. I love when Karma steps in. I honestly don’t see the reason for that type of behaviour but I guess when persons are not secure within themselves, they lash out.

9. October 17, 2017 / 2:55 pm

This is great. I think we’ve all dealt with this at some point in our lives. Sadly, we seem to have it happen more as we grow up when it should be less now.

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 19, 2017 / 1:46 pm

Exactly! I think we should just leave it behind.

10. Gillie
      October 17, 2017 / 10:21 pm

I am always shocked buy this kind of behavior. It has no place anywhere but particularly in the workplace. Makes me wonder what they are like in their private life. There is no easy solution either.

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 19, 2017 / 1:45 pm

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they are allowing their private behaviours to spill out into their professional lives.

11. October 18, 2017 / 10:23 am

When you said throwing out the cake, I definitely laughed out loud. Work can really test your petty and you have to walk a fine line at times. Staying honest with yourself and aware is key.

• Sheviimc
        Author
        October 19, 2017 / 1:48 pm

I definitely agree! I have to restrain myself everyday and if I can, I believe they can too but I guess it depends on the person.

12. Joscelyn
      October 18, 2017 / 11:18 am

I always thought once I became an adult, the immaturity of my peers would disappear. No so, unfortunately. The workplace is like high school all over again. It’s so sad.

13. October 18, 2017 / 5:29 pm

I’ve dealt with pettiness in the workplace. I think that most times, it comes from those who are really insecure and feel threatened. I try not to be that way myself.

14. urbansoulalchemy2013
      October 19, 2017 / 12:59 am

I haven’t worked in the corporate world, but I can certainly see how one would encounter this sort of behavior. I’m sorry you have to experience this.

15. October 19, 2017 / 6:16 pm

I cackled at the cake! I’m definitely happy to be out of the corporate world, its like a nursery there sometimes!